Friday, September 28, 2018

Rotting Pumpkin Patch




One of the scenes I remember vividly from season 2 of Stranger Things is the rotting pumpkin patch.  My love of pumpkins bias might be showing, but that was a very creepy prop to me. So of course, that was where I went.  Plus, it ties into the idea of the demodogs emerging from the underground there.  Now, it was pointed out to me at some point that I could use real rotting pumpkins.  True. Cheaper. Less work involved.  However.  Smell--yick.  Clean up--yick.  Possible kids who think it would be okay to kick the rotting pumpkins, leading to more clean up--ugh.  So I'm left with making fake pumpkins.  Buying them is super expensive--they're like $25 each.  So instead, I got some round bowls at the dollar tree (for weight and for a base) and some of the old reliable great stuff foam.  I also got some large 16" balloons to provide a base for the foam that I could then pop.




Putting the foam on was difficult at first--it got easier once I got a rhythm and remembered to have a light touch with the foam.  And of course, they're not exactly pumpkin looking--you kind of have to be assuming they are pumpkins anyways.  But I'm intending to add some vines and such to help the illusion along.  I sprayed them with a combo of a light orange with highlights of a neon orange.  I might do a sealant coat later when I do the demo dogs, but these are essentially done.  I'll add a yard stake to the bottom so that they don't blow away in the inevitable wind, but yeah, done.  And onto the next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment