Thursday, October 11, 2018

Mind flayer 'prop'


The mind flayer is one of those big bad villains that are a huge part of Stranger Things.  I wanted to have something that would bring it into the scene.  So I had the idea of casting a shadow of the mindflayer up onto the house.  Which meant that I needed a silhouette.  Clay of course was an option.  But I didn't want to mess around with all kinds of breaking issues.  So I went back to the good old instamorph.  I printed out a basic silhouette of the mindflayer, then with several reheatings, rolled out some creepy arms(?) and legs(?).  I'll spray paint him black so he doesn't stand out too much in the day.  I really like the idea of having a prop that doesn't appear until it's dark out.



**UPDATE**

Spray painted him black to cut down on the glare, and then after some trial and error, rigged up an apparatus that allows me to attach a small red (focused) flashlight beam that casts the silhouette up onto the eaves of the house.  I also got a lightning light from Home Depot for $20 and combined with the mind flayer, it starts to look pretty cool.

(NAILED IT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment