Friday, October 19, 2018

Lil Dart

Original, side shot
Original, aerial shot
Decided to sculpt a little Dart for the porch details.  Somewhere I think we've got an old aquarium and I think I can set it up so that we can have a mini Dart display.  I used aluminum foil and wire for the frame, then covered it with oven bake clay that was leftover from the teeth.  I'm currently cooking it at 275 for 10 minutes and will see how it turns out.  I also found a glaze for sculpey in my supplies, so I'm planning on adding that as a last step to make Dart shine.  **UPDATE** Ended up cooking him for about 15 minutes, then let him cool for a solid hour, which seemed to be a good combo.




**UPDATE**
Got lil Dart painted! Underside went brown, top went green.  I used a paper towel to get a bit mottled, along with adding in some spots of bright yellow.  The mouth went red.



**UPDATE**
I put several layers of gloss on him.  I wanted that wet look, and found a super high gloss glaze in my supplies.  Several coats later, I like the way he turned out.  Not sure if you can really tell in the pictures, but the gloss on him is super shiny.  




**UPDATE**
Pulled out an old aquarium we had in the garage and set up lil Dart on the porch.  I may add some lighting so that he can be seen at night, but he's looking pretty good in his new home.  Oh, I am going to add a no touch sign though.  I can see kids wanting to touch/pet/steal him!

**UPDATE**
Tried a few different bulbs.  Because it's so close to the rift, I didn't want one that was too bright that it disrupted the black hole of the rift.  The black light didn't light him up enough, so I eventually went with an eye catching color changing bulb.  


No comments:

Post a Comment