Friday, October 16, 2020

Halloween 2020

 Belated posts as it's...well, 2020.  Which means that this year has been a shit show.  Just layers and layers of it.  But. Halloween still sparks joy, so we're clinging to that with a fierce tenacity.  This year was a mash up of trying to put together stuff I already had or that could be easily modified.  I did a few paper mache projects, but nothing too extensive.  This year I decided to go with a "spooky garden" theme, with the plants coming from scary movie plants.  So Little Shop of Horrors with Audrey IIs, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Beetlejuice's sandworm/tentacle plant thing.  And then just generally weird/creepy plants.  I pulled out my skeletons and found a shirt that read: 2020 (one star) Very bad, would not recommend.  I put the skeleton on an Adirondack chair with a martini glass and the shirt.  I feel like it captures the 'fuck it' vibe of 2020.  I used Abaddon's body to create a scarecrow with a pumpkin head I made.  That one was cool because I used these gigantic balloons to make the head as well as some brown paper that I picked up at Home depot.  Which--tip for future Jess--worked awesome as I could tell which layer I was on and got much more even coverage.  Plus, if the brown paper was the last layer, made it much easier to paint as I didn't have to waste extra paint on making sure none of the newsprint words were coming through.  

One of the more detailed projects were the little Audrey IIs that I put up on the fence in a vine like situation.  Sam had found this awesome idea to use foam nerf footballs cut almost entirely in half and press on fingernails (cut up) for the teeth.  Turned out amazing, and I've made Audrey IIs before with the styrofoam balls--I much prefer the end result of these.  

I put up black lights on the porch along with some "Happy Halloween" and "Trick or Treat" signs out of neon paper to take advantage of them.  A trip to Spirit Halloween yielded a wandering spider light that got cast up onto the house/eaves, and some giant eyes from the dollar store made the bushes all that much more creepy.  















No comments:

Post a Comment