Sunday, September 1, 2019

Mary Sanderson costume

So many of the costumes this year are a mix of finding items from DI or the closet and then just slightly altering them.  This most recent piece for Mary's costume (aka Sam) was actually from scratch.  We found an orangey top that has the right look, but we couldn't really find a cheap corset/vest.  Aaaand cue Joanns.  And borrowing of patterns from Sarah.  Specifically, Simplicity 0640.  This had a basic little corset vest and basically just ignored all the instructions about adding in lining and corset boning.  I found a faux leather red material--that looks utterly orange in my pics, but whatever.  I pulled out the ye olde grommet gun thing I inherited way back, and after a youtube tutorial (or two) I was able to make a line of official looking grommets for the stays down the front of the vest.  For the skirt, Sam and I agreed that it doesn't necessarily need to be an actual plaid skirt, just a wrap of some kind over some leggings or a different skirt.  After a little hunting, I found a plaid that, while isn't quite a replica, it goes with the rest of the outfit, and isn't tooo far from the original.  The only thing left is the wig to order and I think this costume is about done.

No comments:

Post a Comment