Thursday, August 31, 2017

Tricky treats

Gluing together the treat dispensary
I FINALLY found treats for my trick-or-treaters today.  And like, cool treats.  Even the 'tricks' are pretty sweet.  So I've been trolling around the internet for some proper skull rings.  Most of what I was finding was of the pirate, skull and crossbones variety.  Which isn't terrible, but not quite what I wanted.  But today I found (on Amazon) a bunch of skull rings that were a) adjustable--very key for different age groups, b) didn't have crossbones attached and c) came in different glowing colored eyes.  They were a bit more expensive, but only by about $8 than the skull and crossbones set, so I'm happy with them.  Then I went on oriental trading to try and find the corresponding 'trick' prizes.  The original plan was to go with bugs and snakes in keeping with the Indiana Jones theme.  BUT I found these little jumping spider toys for waaaaay cheap ($5/gross)  and then the really cool one--wriggle snakes!  Not a fan of snakes myself, but if I was going to get a toy snake--these are pretty cool.  So I'm all set on prizes, which is convenient because I've been working on the trick or treat dispensary.  May need to cut it down a little bit, but the bulk of it is all glued together.  Next up is to burn/carve into it the "Choose Wisely" then lots of painting.  Also need to cut out hand sized holes and rig up some kind of cloth covering so they can't just peek down and see what's in the bowls.  We'll see how that goes.  But I'm verra excited about the treats being locked in; especially the skull rings!  Oye, now I can relax a bit.

**UPDATE**

Treats arrived!  Well, 2/3 of them.  The skull rings will take another week or so.  The spiders take a bit of a trick to get them to jump properly, but still cute.  Nice and big too.  And the snakes (though shudder inducing) seem pretty cool.  So at the very least, I'll have something to give out at Halloween, even if some of the props don't make it to all the way finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment