Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Jurassic Park Gate (Check back for updates)

Having gotten some of the supplies to start on the big Jurassic Park gate, I went ahead and started the long gluing process.  Long in the sense that liquid nails takes around 7 days to fully dry.  And for all of my careful measurements about how many sheets of styrofoam I would need, I got started only to discover that I had (somewhat stupidly...okay, super stupidly) had only gotten enough supplies for one tower.  Dur.  I mean, one tower at a time will be fine to do.  I just had it in my head that I had ALL the supplies...not half.  *sigh*  ANYways.
 I got started at least on stripping the metallic edges off of the styrofoam so that I could glue the sides together.  Each tower will be about 8 feet high, and in two sections/blocks that will stack on top of each other and be 18x18 at the base, 16x16 at the top. Possibly with bricks in between the sections for weight.  While I was waiting for those to dry a little I also got in some practice time with the brick work and heat gun.  Basically I made the lines for the brick work with a wood burner tool, which gives the basic outline.  Then I went over those lines with a heat gun set on low to widen the lines and to add texture to the "brick".  I like the technique but I haven't technically tried it a whole lot, so I wanted to see what level of difficulty I'd be dealing with.  Turns out, pretty low.  I also painted it with the leftover gray paint I'm intending to use just to see how it's going to look in the end.  I just hope I have enough paint.  It's what I've used on all the gravestones and various projects.  And I've still got half a can left after all of that, so I'm hoping it'll cover everything.  Lots of projects to do in the meantime...and to get the other half of the gate supplies...




**UPDATE**
Crap.  One of my sections fell down then dried in a weird rhombus angle.  Double crap.  Ugh.  So I ended up using the leftover 3rd section pieces I had had cut (thinking later it was way too tall to even use) so now ALL the measurements changed and I'm now kind of glad that I only got supplies for one tower cause everything would have been screwed up if I had.  Small pieces of luck.  So now the tower will just decrease in diameter a bit more dramatically.  It'll go from 18x18 to 14x14  (instead of 16x16).  Which probably NO ONE will notice but me...but I'm starting to realize that should kind of be my motto.  I put the wood top and bottom on the remaining section that wasn't screwed up, and that's looking good.  This gate is a loooong process--lots of waiting in between sections.  I have learned from making the tombstones and such not to rush this process of waiting for glue to dry.  So before my next trip to Home Depot, will definitely have to do some maths regarding this new development.

**UPDATE**
Some progress on the main (not screwed up section).  I went ahead and drew some lines in for the brick work, then went over them with the woodburner.  This allows for deep/wider cuts when I went over them with the heat gun.  Also added texture to the 'bricks' with the heat gun.  I really like how it turned out.  I'm also going to try a technique my uncle (also in Haunter's Anonymous) suggested about gluing together styrofoam--"gripper" or wood primer apparently works.  He's tried it successfully, so when I make my next (of many) runs to Home Depot, I'll pick some up.  I was also thinking I'd try and get some dark gray paint to use in the crevices to get a little two tone action on the brick work.  I'm still a little concerned about the coverage of my remaining gray paint.

**UPDATE**
Other half of the supplies obtained.  I started putting together the columns, just putting together two sides.  I'll wait for them to set up, then form them into a column.  Much easier putting together the columns this second time now that I've done the first one.  Definitely running out of room--and I think I'll have to store them on the patio once they've been painted--the garage isn't tall enough with the rafters.

**UPDATE**
All of the columns (sans wood tops) have been glued together.  Tomorrow, once they've set up a bit, I'll glue the tops on and start figuring out the best way to put them together.  I think it'll have to do the stone work in pieces before putting the sections together. Then glue them together....THEN paint everything.  But I'll need a sunny full day for that so they can dry before storing them...probably under the patio?  Idk, there will have to be measuring to make sure everything will fit properly.  


**UPDATE**
The actual height of the
towers/gate
The rest of the columns got their wood tops today and I made these 2 blocks o styrofoam that will hopefully serve as a bracing unit or puzzle piece thing between the stacked columns so that I don't have to actually glue them together--so I can store them sanely later.  *crossed fingers* Also did the heat/stone work on one more of the columns--only 2 more to go, but that will keep until their wood tops are dry.  Chipping away slowly:)




**UPDATE**
The last of the heat/stone work was finally done!  Whoooooooo.....I'm probably just a tiny bit still high on fumes....yeah. Probably shouldn't be updating the blog right now...but I am, so it's moot.  Whatever, Jess on fumes is still awesome Jess.  Maybe not to others...pfft, whatver , OTHERS!  but still a level of awesome that I'm comfortable with.  Damn, bad sentence.  Should fix that later--FUTURE-NOT-ON-FUMES-JESS--insert better sentences here.  ANYways...right.  PAINTING!  Is the thing that got done.  In the crevices of the brick work.  On two of the columns.  After the toxic heat styrofoam thing.  So not the best combo for the brain of Jess to be followed by one after another.  But it was windy. And there was a fan.  So it probably wasn't that bad.  Probably. But also probably I should lay down.  Lie down?  Either way. Yes.  Good idea.

**UPDATE**
Rest of the columns got their crevices painted--and breaks were taken so that the fumes of last time didn't result in woozy Jess.  I also pulled out the gray paint and went over the columns and dry brushed over the crevices.  Turned out pretty well.  Still have two more to go, but I'm taking a break as it is super cold and rainy and my toes were freezing after only 2 columns.

**UPDATE**
All four columns are painted!  Yay!  I'm already seeing tons of little spots that need touchups and I've gone over them a bit to catch any huge ones.  And I'm not going to get too precious about them--it'll be dark, I'm good with it not being pristine.  The next big question is the styrofoam block that will go on the top of the large bottom tower(s).  I had initially made these 4 inches thick, gluing together 4 sheets of styrofoam, but now I'm reconsidering, thinking I should do double that.  I definitely want it as secure as I can get it.  On the other hand, I could put bricks on top of the foam.  I'm torn on this point.  Consultations and diagrams may have to be made.  Oh, I also stacked one tower together to get the full effect.  Pretty good :)

**UPDATE**
Okay, first real attempt to put these up where they're actually going to go and learned a few things about plans going forward.  Definitely going to need to fix them to the rafters with some ziptie/bungee cord or something.  The one on the left is going to have to be propped up cause the driveway is a little wonky right there.   Definitely going to use elmer's glue to adhere them between columns/stacks at least a little bit in addition to the styrofoam.  Possibly bricks as well.  I just don't trust the wind...at all.  And with the Jurassic Park sign acting as a major wind dynamic, it's going to need some security.  Got just a few quick pics but was nervous because it was a wee bit windy and there was literally NOTHING holding the top stacks in place.  I had flashes of nightmares about one of them falling, getting chipped, and having to start all over again making another one.  The Horror!  Ugh, just thinking it gives me chills.  So.  Also realized that Bert is going to have to move more towards the middle (which I had considered as a possibility) as the gate shifts the traffic flow definitely towards the right side.  And he might just stick out too much, so his stand may have to be behind the fence, in the dirt, which his head poking in and somewhat covered by the patio.  I'll have to play with it a little and see.  The sign for the gate is the next big hurdle.  Brainstormed with Sam and we settled on foam core pieces that are mod podged--which will get the water resistant I need with the ability to not screw up the entire sign over one letter.  Plus, it's meant to be all dilapidated and such, so if it looks a little warped, all for the better...right?  Ooh, I should probably do some mini spotlights or something on the sign...or like fairy lights?  Clip on lights?  Huh.  Something that illuminates the sign.  Well, I have a week or so left before I really start putting stuff up. And it really doesn't have to go up all at once--that's just my own deadline.  But I will be able to put up quite a bit.

**UPDATE**
The foam core arrived today!  Huzzah!  So I started to go about printing out the letters for the gate.  My plan at this point is to paint the foam core a bright yellow (which I just finished, but have no pics of), print out the letters that I modified on the computer (also done), cut them out, and mod podge them onto the yellow foam core, then cut them out with an outline around them.  Here's the fence lettering again for reference.  I think it'll work...might have to add more mod podge or a clear sealant.  The waterproofness of any prop is always questionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment