Wednesday, August 3, 2016

It's all about the Bert

Bert got some upgrades today.  First and foremost was the stand that he'll rest his head on.  There were a bunch of different possible ways to go on a stand.  I wanted it to be as secure as possible, so I went with a basic cube/rectangle out of pvc pipe.  The nice thing about it is that it'll be super stable with a brick at the bottom, and the joint can move up and down a little to adjust him once I get everything else in place.  I'm intending to paint it a dark color so it blends into the foliage (either black or dk green).

He also got some eyehole/brows to amp up the eyes a little.  The eyes are smaller than they really should be and I felt like it needed a little emphasis.  Pretty easy to add a few rolled up newspapers around where the eyes will go.  I paper mached over them just to make it a little smoother.  But painting will be important here.  Bert also got the back paper mached just to complete the whole thing.

I got a new can of Great Stuff and made a tongue to put in the mouth and painted it a bright red.

I couldn't resist.  I put the pieces of Bert together...a bit.  I put in his eyes, tongue, and a side of teeth.  HE LOOKS AWESOME!!!  I lurve him *sigh*

Got Bert's base coat finished. This helps hide the paper print without having to do multiple coats and gives the brighter colored paint a chance to pop out a little more.  I'm considering adding some texture on top of this, not sure what though; maybe a spray of stone finish or something.  Yet to be decided.  I also turned his mouth more purple; I had been rewatching Jurassic Park and the mouth on the dilophosaurus is clearly more purple than red.


  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! He's shaping up to be my favorite... don't tell the compys.