Sunday, July 10, 2016
Qapla'! It was a good day to dye!
So today was full of highs and lows. Some awesome moments followed by disappointments. The bottom line is that we learned a lot and have a ways to go. Our foray into ice dyeing fabric started out well. We had 7 batches (4 large, 1 yard; 3 fat quarter) with 3 different types of ice: block, medium, and pebble. We took lots and lots (and lots and lots) of notes and pictures at each stage, trying different methods and variables. The ice melted in about 3-3 1/2 hours. We washed them in cold water, then set them in a hot water wash with the recommended detergent. Unfortunately, what resulted was for the fabric/dye to run together so that we ended up with a few different shades of similar greens. Not useless (or ugly) by any means...but not nearly as awesome as when we first pulled them out of the dye. So we're going to try a few different things. Not washing it in SUPER hot water (our hot water is turned up), washing them separately, and re-dyeing some of the fabric. But for a moment there, we had some really exciting results.
at 6:29 PM