The wand making session with Sam has resulted in some gorgeous wands. And all fairly easily done. I pulled out all the available beads, set up the glue sticks, chopsticks and small wooden dowels, and we just started playing around with different more elaborate types of wands.
Some turned out a little more special than others, but it's a bit hard to tell what they'll finally look like until we get a coat of paint on them. So some of them I'll reserve judgement on for a bit.
One of my favorites was one that well, may stay mine. I built up the base and then did a layered droopy thing with the glue. It turned out well enough that I (tried to) recreate it on the opposite side.
All in all, very pleased with them. I've even been talked into handing out wands instead of candy this year. Some of the simpler ones were incredibly easy to do and would ultimately be cheaper than candy (if more time consuming to make). Found some disposable chopsticks online for ~$8, so we'll see if it's feasible to make some 200 wands by October. Considering how fast they went, I'm not too worried, especially as Sam has joined in helping with them.