Wednesday, September 12, 2012

This is what happens when you don't follow directions...

Okay. I'll admit it. I was hasty. And did not follow directions. And so I was appropriately punished for my impatience. It's been ~24-48 hours since the skulls started. The how to insists that 3-7 days is more appropriate to check on them. And by check, read open. Because 'checking' on them is really an all or nothing proposition. Once they're open, if they're not done, there's no real going back. So I opened one skull, partly so I could understand how essential it is to wait. This is what greeted me:






The face had a pooled congealed amber looking ooze that was still sticky. I immediately flipped over the other two skulls so that they could dry face up. One note--the skull came out of the mold relatively easy--I think much due to the petroleum jelly smeared into it before the foam. Definitely a must. Not sure if I'll be able to use this skull if/when it dries--the nose and mouth came apart as I was pulling it out, but the eyes are mostly intact. So if I painted it, it might just be a super creepy freshly corpsified skull...which could work. In the meantime, I'm going to sit back and wait the full several days before attempting to open the other two. Although, with this amount of work, I'm questioning the feasibility of using these molds to make a lof of them. I'll see what they look like when they're painted up. Frankly, I'd rather spend the time making more gouged out crochet eyeballs

I was also going to head to Michaels soon (they were closed the last time I tried to go) and get some frame backs for the headless pictures, and some supplies to make the small Audrey IIs. Sarah was going to come down next week and help with the large Audrey II--at least I can be working on making the 'babies'.

No comments:

Post a Comment