Thursday, August 23, 2012

Plans Brewing

Ah, the first thrill of a plan for Halloween that tips over into a real possibility. This year, I've decided to attempt a theme of Little Shop of Horrors, a much beloved movie of my childhood. The killer plant from outer space was just frightening enough to keep me on the edge of my seat, but the movie (I'm speaking of the 1986 version with Rick Moranis) also had enough humor and comedic timing to be something that was continually watched, even if not Halloween.

And so...







This is the super basic plan roughly sketched out. The pumpkins are in their usual spot, as best seen from the street. My dilemma of the moment is where to place the large Audrey II piece I'm intending to make. The ever present and necessary large bucket of water for the pumpkin baths looms largely. I'm wondering if I could get away with it on the side this year, perhaps actually off the porch. If I put up a trellis this year (and I think I would only go with one), maybe it could serve as a barrier between trick or treaters and the bucket.

This is another sketch of the interior, and some detail of the plant sketch.



I'm also planning a garbage can with wrapped up bloody parts (for feeding to Audrey II) The most difficult challenge is the large paper mache piece of the Audrey II. I'd like it to be relatively large and intimidating, and then perhaps some smaller, mini-Audreys, throughout. I've got tons of garland from ye olde garden display from awhile back. I'm considering buying some of that plastic netting and draping at least one side of the porch in it. It would enclose it a little more without closing it off entirely, as well as give me place to tie garland and various flowers.

Perspective-wise, I'm considering making it so that the porch is the inside of the floral shop, so the 'mushnick's flower shop' sign that will go on the large window could actually be displayed backwards. (not sure on that one--may just do right side out not to confuse people)

Need to play with it and experiment, but could do a checkerboard floor with chalk, and maybe red chalk with water to simulate bloody drag marks.

I'd like to include my cool motion sensor motor, but not sure if it'll make it into the display this year. Might have to do some brainstorming on that one.

Planning on adding some signs--"Audrey II is here" in the shop window, road sign of 'skidrow', maybe a badly written 'feed the plant' near a tentacle posed with chalk. Signs on the entrance saying 'DON'T feed the plants', etc.

Anyway, it's always much more interesting to attempt something new. Initially I was hesitant to do something that doesn't utilize a lot of my old decorations, but I'll still set up the graveyard, and really, the other decorations can just come inside the house.

"Hold on, man. We don't go anywhere with "scary," "spooky," "haunted," or "forbidden" in the title." ~From Scooby-Doo

No comments:

Post a Comment